Work at MPI
Work at MPI
Migration Policy Institute Europe
The Migration Policy Institute Europe (MPI Europe) is a nonprofit, independent research institute that aims to provide a better understanding of migration in Europe and thus promote effective policymaking. MPI Europe provides authoritative research and practical policy design to governmental and nongovernmental stakeholders who seek more effective management of immigration, immigrant integration, and asylum systems as well as successful outcomes for newcomers, families of immigrant background, and receiving communities in Europe.
MPI Europe seeks a highly motivated Administrative Manager and Events Coordinator to join its dynamic Brussels team. Primary tasks will include administrative support, support with grant and project management administration, and events coordination for the MPI Europe team. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Applications to take up the position within a part-time contract, provided a daily presence at the MPI Europe offices can be assured (e.g. from 9am to 3pm), are also welcome.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 1 year of relevant work experience, ideally in an international/European environment
- Excellent English communication and writing skills
- Strong French communication and writing skills
- Excellent IT skills (proficient in the use of Microsoft Office tools, particularly Word, Excel and Access)
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- High motivation and initiative; ability to handle multiple assignments, prioritize, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to communicate effectively and work independently as well as a part of a team.
- Additional foreign language capability.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversight of office administration, including office supplies, liaison with building management, preparing facilities for new/visiting staff
- Coordination of media requests with MPI Communications team and MPI Europe staff
- Support for MPI Europe staff with travel/accommodation needs
- Maintenance of online and on-site document filing and other administrative requests.
Grant/Project Management (in consultation with senior staff)
- Principal liaison with MPI Europe financial administrators on project and grant administration
- Principal liaison with partner/funder administrators on project and grant administration
- Provide support with grant reporting
- Oversight of calls for proposals, tender, and other project opportunities
- Support for grant and project proposal development, including financial documentation.
- Responsibility for logistical arrangements for in-person and online events, including identifying and booking event space; hiring caterers and other external vendors; organizing documentation; and handling logistics during webinars and teleconferences
- On-site event management, including preparation of meeting rooms, technical equipment, and setting up refreshments
- Communication before, during, and after events with speakers/presenters/participants on substantive issues as well as for logistical arrangements and reimbursement
- Maintenance of the mailing list and other contacts database, and liaising with MPI Senior Events Manager on these and other issues.
The position will begin in April/May 2017, and will be remunerated competitively, according to experience. The successful candidate will be granted a one-year contract, with possible extension. Applicants must have permission to work in Belgium.
Please send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com. Please indicate in your application when you would be available to start.
March 17, 2017
The Migration Policy Institute Europe (MPI Europe) is a nonprofit, independent research institute based in Brussels, Belgium that aims to provide a better understanding of migration in Europe and thus promote evidence-based policymaking. MPI Europe provides authoritative research and practical policy design to governmental and nongovernmental stakeholders who seek more effective management of immigration, immigrant integration, and asylum systems as well as successful outcomes for newcomers, families of immigrant background, and receiving communities in Europe. MPI Europe works collaboratively with the International Programme of its sister organisation, the Migration Policy Institute (MPI), based in Washington, DC.
MPI Europe seeks a highly motivated Policy Analyst/Senior Policy Analyst to join its dynamic Brussels team. The successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional writing, editing, and analytical skills and a thorough understanding of European policy frameworks and systems to manage immigration and asylum. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Design and lead policy and research projects for MPI Europe (and for MPI’s International Programme, as appropriate), supervise project staff, and ensure rigour and quality in all project outputs.
- Work with MPI colleagues across all programmes, as well as with external collaborators, to conduct innovative research and write influential reports, policy briefs, articles, and commentaries on various aspects of immigration and immigrant integration policy.
- Work with MPI senior management to actively identify and pursue new funding opportunities, and lead and develop successful proposals.
- Build and maintain effective relationships and networks with funders and external collaborators.
- Represent MPI and promote its research and policy ideas in the media and public and private settings, including via webinars and teleconferences.
- Contribute to the planning and strategic direction of MPI Europe, and the broader International Programme of MPI.
- Supervise and serve as mentor to junior staff including research assistants and associate policy analysts.
- Advanced (PhD or Masters) degree in public policy or a closely related field, and a minimum of seven years of experience with strong relevance to MPI Europe’s work. Candidates holding a Bachelor’s Degree who can demonstrate significant work experience with increasing levels of responsibility and highly productive record of accomplishment will be considered.
- Excellent understanding of the role of public policy in shaping immigration systems, and the ability to analyse, write about, and explain policy issues persuasively.
- Substantial knowledge of EU and European governments and institutions, legislation, and political and socioeconomic context. Academic and/or professional background in migration policy.
- Exceptional thinking, writing, and editing skills (finalists will be asked to complete an in-person writing and/or editing exercise).
- Ability to break down, analyse, and clearly communicate policy issues to nontechnical audiences, and ability to visualise, present, and explain data effectively.
- Sound knowledge of the qualitative and quantitative research methodologies required for designing and implementing research projects.
- High motivation and initiative; ability to handle multiple assignments, prioritise, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated capacity in fundraising and development, and access to a wide network of decision-makers and opinion leaders in migration and adjacent fields.
- Substantial publications record, both in the immigration and integration policy fields, and excellent reputation in the research and public policy worlds.
- Excellent oral communication skills, including offering lead presentations and keynoting events.
- Proven capacity to effectively manage complex projects and work collaboratively with team members.
- Additional foreign language capability, French strongly preferred.
- Particular knowledge of asylum, border management, security and enforcement processes, and how they interact with the immigration system as a whole.
- Government and/or direct policy experience strongly preferred.
- Ability to effectively collect and analyse quantitative and qualitative data through both primary and secondary sources.
The position will be remunerated competitively, according to experience. Applicants must have permission to work in Belgium.
Please send a cover letter, CV, and short writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in your application when you would be available to start.
14 April 2017